“Tell those who are rich not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which will soon be gone, but their pride and trust should be in the living God who always richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment. Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and should give happily to those in need, always being ready to share with others whatever God has given them. By doing this they will be storing up real treasure for themselves in heaven—it is the only safe investment for eternity! And they will be living a fruitful Christian life down here as well” (1Timothy 6:17-19 TLB)
There are two kinds of rich people. These are:
1) Those who are good at being rich
2) Those who are not good at being rich.
Those who are good at being rich have overcome the dizzying effects of being rich. I will show you how to be good at being rich according to the Scriptures.
How to be Good at Being Rich
1. Show respect to all men irrespective of their social standing. “Tell those who are rich not to be proud…” (1Tim. 6:17 TLB). Proud people do not show respect to many people especially when they perceive they are better placed in society than other people. However, those who are good at being rich show utmost respect to all men.
2. Walk in love towards all people.
3. Use your money to do good. “Tell them to use their money to do good…” (1Tim. 6:18 TLB). Those who are good at being rich use their money to promote only good and worthy causes. Those who are not good at being rich use their money to perpetrate evil.
4. Be rich in good works. “They should be rich in good works…” (1Tim. 6:18 TLB). Some rich people use their money to do good sometimes but are not rich in good works. Much of their riches go into selfish expenditure while very little goes into good works. Such people may spend a lot of money on a custom-made vehicle and think that the same amount of money that went into the purchase of that vehicle is too much for the work of the ministry and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Such people do not do good lavishly. Being rich in good works also denotes giving not just money, but a lot of time, effort and energy in doing good.
5. Be liberal and generous of heart. “…And should give happily to those in need…” (1Tim. 6:18 TLB). The liberal soul gives happily to those in need. He is moved with compassion when he sees the needs of others and acts to meet those needs.
6. Be ready to share what you have with others. “…Always being ready to share with others whatever God has given them… (1Tim. 6:18 TLB).
7. Realize that whatever you have was given to you by God. “…Ready to share with others whatever God has given them… (1Tim. 6:18 TLB). The man who will be good at being rich must start out with the awareness that whatever he has was given to him by God. This will set the pace for wisdom in the use of those riches.
8. Keep your hopes on God’s Word and God’s prescriptions for solving problems. “Instruct those who are rich in the present age not to…set their hope on the uncertainty of wealth, but on God…” (1Tim. 6:17 TLB). Those who are good at being rich do not allow their trust to shift from God to riches. Such a person thinks “What does God’s Word say about this kind of problem or challenge?” rather than “How much money do I need to solve this problem?”. He would often pray about an issue first instead of quickly taking refuge in the potential of his money.
You can be good at being rich. That way, you become truly blessed and fruitful on this earth while storing up real treasures for yourself in heaven. God bless you!